What Is Anti-bias/Anti-racist Education
Anti-bias/Anti-racist education is an integrated stance through which educators evaluate, alter, and design all aspects of their classroom environment, their routines and management, and their curriculum to create more and more equitable and inclusive experiences for students.
It is a part of everything we do
How we set up the classroom and the materials we use
It is fully integrated into the daily life of our classrooms and our social curriculum
Being with one others
Developing equitable systems
Why do we implement an Anti-bias Education approach?
Because bias, privilege, and power are built into our society and systems; and impact all children’s development and lives.
Because all children have a right to:
- become their fullest selves
- become culturally-aware people
- develop a full sense of fairness and justice
- seek equity (active participation) for all.
Anti-Bias/Anti-Racist Education Classroom Goals
Adult Development Goals
Educator/Adult Development Reflection Tool
Lessons and Teaching Guides
Though the majority of the SEE Every Child Curriculum is located in the Big Idea Guides, this page houses a small, and growing, collection of distinct lessons that can be integrated and adapted for your classroom.
Shades of People
A series of lessons that support children’s exploration of the various shades of skin in the world. These lessons were originally part of a remote teaching kit.
Self-Portrait Assessment Rubric
A rubric, with interview prompts to support your
assessment of children’s self-portraits, as well as their developing sense of self and identity.
Study Guide for Matt de la Peña & Christian Robinson
Teaching About Indigenous People
This guide was developed to support teachers as they include more curricula about local indigenous people. It provides both adult learning and
Early Childhood Anit-Bias/Anti-Racist Books
- Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves – Louise Derman-Sparks, Julie Olsen Edwards, Catherine M. Goins (2020)
- Spotlight on Young Children: Equity & Diversity – NAEYC (2020)
- Each and Every Child: Teaching Preschool with an Equity Lens – NAEYC, S. Friedman & A. Mwenelupembe (2020)
- Don’t Look Away: Embracing Anti-Bias Classrooms – Iruka, Curenton, Durden, & Escayg (2020)
- Leading Anti-Bias Early Childhood Programs – L. Derman-Sparks, D. LeeKeenon, J. Nimmo (2015)
- No More Culturally Irrelevant Teaching – M. Souto-Manning, C. Lugo Llerena, J. Martell, A. Sals Maguire, A. Arce-Boardman (2018)